Day 1: In the morning we depart from Port Elizabeth, situated in the Nelson Mandela Bay, on our way to the hinterland of the Karoo on the first day of our wonderful ‘Star Gazing’ Tour. We arrive in the late morning at the historical town of Steytlerville in the Eastern Cape, established in 1875 and situated between the Grootrivier Hoogte and Baviaanskloof Mountains. This is a typical Karoo farming community and we book into a typical Karoo farm, steeped in history, for our overnight stay.
After lunch you can either just enjoy the farm or as an optional extra take part in the following activities:
- a guided bush hike (2-3hours)
- picnic in the veld at the cycad forest and a half an hour hike to the spring (4hours)
- night game drive (2 hours)
- Braaidinner at Draaikrans with drumming
- Bird watching with guide (3 -4 hours) early mornings only
- A cultural trip through Steytlerville –including dancers, history, visit to Churches, historical sites, museum, Valley of the Flags – 4hours
- Short drive-through trip to Steytlerville – one hour
We then return to the farm and after dinner we can enjoy a Night Game Drive to view the animals and view the wonderful mesmirising constellations that you can only view in the African Sky.
Day 2: Today we attend a lecture and spend the day observing and learning about the geology of the land and in the evening viewing and learning about Astronomy.
Day 3 After breakfast, if time depending on the flight time, do a bush/game drive to a lookout point on the farm – pack up and depart for Port Elizabeth
(from ZAR 3400/p/s)
Contact us for more info